Since wearing masks is a daily part of our lives now, it’s literally adding a whole new layer to face 𝘣𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘬𝘰𝘶𝘵𝘴. Here are my top tips to help keep your skin clear and gorgeous!
My top 7 tips to help conquer “maskne”
- Double cleanse your skin first thing in the morning. We all know that dirt and oil on your face causes breakouts, so it’s even worse under a mask! Why double cleanse, you ask? The benefit of double cleansing is that the first cleanser will break down any makeup, remove dirt and excess oils from the day and clean your skin. The second cleanser will address your particular skin type or concern and should have ingredients to hydrate, smooth or exfoliate and treat acne. The cleaner your skin is under your mask, the less likely you’ll breakout.
- Use a high-quality moisturizer or skin balancing oil that not only helps your skin, but acts like a barrier to the mask. Don’t use products that are too heavy and likely to clog your pores. However! If you’re going to be wearing a mask for prolonged periods of time, skip the moisturizer. It will help your skin breath that much more under your mask.
- Don’t wear makeup foundation under your mask, because when it’s trapped under there it can clog your pores! Plus, it dirties up the inside of your mask faster, which in turn breeds more bacteria. Focus on your eyes instead if you cannot skip the makeup.
- Make sure your mask is clean, fits properly, and 100% cotton (or other soft, natural fabric) — wash it often with a gentle and fragrance-free laundry detergent. Rotate through clean cotton masks and don’t hang up used masks in your car to use later, as the heat breeds more bacteria. And remember that surgical masks are only meant to be used once, because there’s no effective way to clean them. Save those for healthcare workers!
- Avoid using harsh products on your face like retinol or benzoyl peroxide in the morning, because they can be particularly irritating under your mask. Use them only at night and less often so there is less irritation.
- Protect your lips with your favorite lip balm or a high-quality nourishing product like Rejuveniqe Oil Intensive.
- Wash your face as soon as you get home (double cleanse again, my loves!)! I love the Countercontrol Clear Pore Cleanser to help keep my breakouts in check.
Additional tips to help prevent breakouts:
- Wash your pillowcase often! Bacteria builds up quick where you spend hours upon hours of your daily life. Step it up a notch with a silk pillowcase and I promise you’ll thank me later! It helps so much with wrinkles and dryness, too!
- Don’t over-exfoliate your skin, because this causes your skin to produce more oil which can in turn clog your pores.
- Stay hydrated! When you’re dehydrated, your body may be sending signals to your oil glands to produce more oil.
- Don’t touch your face and especially don’t be a pimple popper!
- Reduce stress (easier said than done, I know).
What other advice have you found to be helpful? What am I forgetting to add to the list!? Please let me know in the comments below!
Also, I’m happy to help you with product recommendations to help your skin while we all continue to adjust to this new normal! Feel free to message me!